Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Candy Japan

So this post is completely not nail related... in fact, I have nude nails at the moment because I have to do some major repair work to fix some splits.

However, I had to tell you about the funnest thing ever!  Candy Japan.

My husband is fascinated with Japanese culture and loves the idea of the weird (at least to us anyway) flavors of  things like candy and chips.

A few weeks ago I read an article about Candy Japan on GeekMom and I knew I needed to get it for my husband.  The idea is simple, for a small fee ($25USD) you receive 2 shipments of novelty candy straight from Japan.  It's a subscription, though it doesn't require you continue after the first shipment.  This is also not going to be something we've all seen like Pocky either.  The shipments are supposed to be candy that is not sold outside of Japan.  Each shipment will be sent with an email to the subscriber explaining what the candy is, and any information about preparation it may need.

Yes, I said 'preparation'.  For Candy.

Today we got this...


 Um, yes, that's a toilet you see there....

So I had read from my email...

Moko Moko Mokoretto

This is possibly the strangest candy we have sent so far. It's a kit for putting together a toilet seat, with powder that starts to expand when put into the tank, mixed with water.

How-to-make instructions on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6hUfFreu2k





How funny is that?  

So we put it all together and mixed the blue powder.


All the instructions were in Japanese - thank goodness there was a video


It looks like the package is suggesting to use it to grow a cactus afterward.  I plan to use it for my blythe doll.


This looks like it comes in 4 different colors, white, pink, blue, and green.


We got the white one with green face stickers and shamrocks.


We made a happy little toilet.


So this is after we put the blue powder in the tank.  The tank connects through the bottom and back up into the bowl.


Here it is after we poured in water and gave it a little stir.  Bubbly.  


Our son was guinea pig #1 to taste it.  His "yum" face gave a seal of approval and my husband and I both tried it.  Funky is the best word I have to describe it.  It's fizzy like it's full of baking soda and citric acid for sourness.  No idea if it was supposed to be blueberry or not.

All in all, it was fun to put together and to speculate what it might taste like.  My 9 year old son was very excited.  From what I gather most months you receive 2-3 different kinds of candies but because everything has to fit in a standard letter size envelope in Japan this large candy was the entirety of our shipment this time.  We'll get another in a few weeks and I'll probably share that with you too.




No comments:

Post a Comment