Thursday, May 23, 2013

Vintage "French" Manicure

Yesterday I wrote about a YouTube video I'd found by ProfessionalDQ that showed a neat tutorial for some spooky nails.

I took the basic idea, and made it my own going with vintage French designs for a "French" manicure.  (I'm so punny, aren't I?)



On pinky - vintage roses
Ring - Hot air balloon
Middle - Fluer De Lis & Paris
Index - Vintage Roses
Thumb - (not pictured) Eiffel Tower

I started with a base coat of Sephora's Dance Till Fawn.
Using a make-up sponge I sponged Sephora's Don't Feed the Hand Models three coats in the center of my nail only leaving a "frame" of the darker color.
After a quick dunk in rubbing alcohol I pressed newspaper to my nails when they were approx. 75% dry to transfer the text.

The images were created using rub-on transfer paper.  I like Graphix Rub-Onz which I purchased from Amazon.

MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE PACKAGE!

(I didn't and had to scrap my first 10 images and that paper isn't exactly cheap)

I Googled for images I liked and pasted them into Microsoft Word.  I sized them down until they were small enough to fit on my nails.  I always test print on regular paper first to make sure they are the right size.

*tip - make sure to squeeze them all in together so you use less paper*



After creating the transfers, I cut them out very closely to the image and applied them to the nail.

I added a single very thin coat of OPI's Glints of Glinda.

Finally, I capped the whole thing off with a matte top coat.


After a few hours I added a coat of Gelous to see them glossy.  I think I like the matte look here much better - it feels more "vintage".



What do you think?  Matte or glossy?


2 comments:

  1. very pretty designs! usually i prefer a glossy finish, but i think i like these matte. both are very nice though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so neat! Stores need to start selling stuff like this - I'm JUST starting to find a couple water transfer things at Walmart. I like it glossy personally! But I know it's a lot easier to photograph matte!

    ReplyDelete